Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Good Morning,

and my sincere apologies, for not writing yesterday. For some reason, I spaced it, and thought I had already written for Valentines day. So, I hope everyone had a Happy Valentines Day, and you and your sweetie were able to have some quiet (or very very loud) times to yourself. LOL

Nana and I did make it to Gander Mountain, Sunday.  I was looking around, at there camping items. Kept going back to the Dutch Oven (Lodge Logic) but just didnt want to pay that price (around 80 dollars) But kept looking around at the other things, and did pick up a few things that we will be needing, like hotdog forks and cheapie marshmallow forks for the campfires. Something else along those lines, for Smores, and Nana got herself a 30 dollar travel mug by Thermos, for tea, coffee, water, whatever,, stays hot for 8 hrs and cold for 12.. She had gotten one last year, that only cost 20, and I thought it was a better one than she bought Sunday.. but it wound up leaking,, looks like she got it cross-threaded or something. But then, the new one leaks a bit too, I think she said.. just one of them things,, not sure if she will take it back or not,, I figure a little Teflon tape (plumbers tape) will fix it temporarily. Will just have to wait and see, I reckon.

  Then it was on to Dick's Sporting Goods, where I DID by the Lodge Logic Dutch Oven. for 10 dollars cheaper. Though the difference was, this is a 6 qt., and the other was an 8 qt. Which I think the one I bought will serve us better. I still may buy the other, as you can stack them to cook with.. Its mostly just going to be Nana and I on these camping trips, but its like Im buying stuff, so I can cook for an army if I need to. lol.. Then we also bought a 6x6 canopy, that comes in a carrying case, to set up to sit under and have some shade when needed.. And of course, Nana wanted these tv type tables to sit next to the chairs to put stuff on.. LOL in a traveling case too.. everything we have been buying, comes in a carrying type case, for easy packing, traveling, storing, etc.. and the Bug spray was on sale, so got 3 cans of that.. Think we still have some left from last year, but better safe than sorry.. Id rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it..
Then we went to dinner at TGI Friday's for supper.. all the other steak places were 45 min waits (@8pm???) and no waiting at TGIFridays. Nana had the NY strip, and said it was tender and delicious, while I had a full rack of ribs, and it was pretty dang good in its own right.. It wasnt too much, and had I still been eating like I used to, would have walked away hungry, as usual buying ribs at a restaurant.
Then yesterday, we went to Sam's club for a few things,, and all told, those two days of shopping cost me over 500 dollars.. so much for saving for other things,, LOL.. Fortunately, we went to the bar afterwards, for an iced tea, and see my buddies. I figured I would buy Nana a few pull tabs, and see if she could hit something.. the first 20, didnt even get a dollar, and my buddy Richard told me to play the one next to it, that the bartender had said nothing had been hit on it yet,, and in another 20 dollars of tickets, hit for 500 dollars.. which was funny the way it came about. Nana was opening them, and asked if we hit, if I was going to split it,, and I said no. it was my money buying the tickets, I was just letting her get the enjoyment of opening them,, so she tossed them at me and says "well, you open them then",,, when I finished, there was only a 5 dollar hit,, then she handed me the 500 dollar ticket.. LOL,, woohoo.. so I did give her 200 of it, because somewhere between the bed and her chair, she lost the deposit she had made out for the shop. It may still turn up, but she has looked everywhere, with out finding it yet.. No one can do anything with it, because it was all checks and she had written on the back of the checks with her acct number.. but some good soul, probably wouldnt find it, and either call or take it to the bank and make the deposit for us, so if she doesnt find it, its lost for good.. Its hard telling, because she could have lost it at Gander Mountain, Dicks, or Walmart. My thoughts are Walmart, because of her always digging through her purse, for her phone, or whatever,, but then it could have been TGI Fridays too.. she gets so spacey sometimes, its really hard telling.

There are a few more camping items I would like to get, that we seen, along with the Coleman tent that I am wanting to purchase.. It sets up in one minute.. Ive watched the video at Coleman.com, several times.. and I think it would be best for us, rather than the one we have that should take a healthy person 5-10 minutes to set up,, or a couple healthy people,, Nana and I, last year, it took us 30-45 minutes to set up.. But it was only the second time we had set it up (the first being at home to familiarize ourselves with it).
I went to the Vietnam Veterans camp in Kokomo, IN last September, with Nana,, and 4-6 other friends,, It was a blustery day, and we set their tents up first.. they had one similar to mine, but still seemed to have trouble with it.. then I started setting mine up, they came to help, and it was done in a couple minutes.  Other than me getting sick, and then Nana showing up and her getting a little sick,, it was a great time with friends.. I was lucky I didnt have a heart attack and die out there, though,, that was only a few weeks before I had to have the heart surgery.. and could have been the reason I was so sick to begin with..

As I said, more things I want to pick up, besides things to keep stocked up on for eating/cooking. etc...  like a spyder to sit the lid of the Dutch Oven on when checking whats cooking,, the lid lifter, and also a tripod to set up over the campfire.. to hang the Dutch OVen over to cook stews, chilis, or whatever.. as I said, its a lot of overkill, with it just being Nana and I when we go camping, but perhaps there will be others that will go, now that we have started going.. Richard, my best friend,  was with us at Kokomo, and had the other tent similar to mine.. His ex-wife (#1) and he are living together again after all these years, and she loved camping with us in Kokomo, and she is like me, if you are going to buy something, buy the best.. and when their camp stove screwed up, she jumped in the truck and headed to Walmart to buy a new one like mine,, lol,,

I surely dont know why Im buying all this stuff for campfire cooking, when we have the RV, with stove, sink, refrigerator, etc.. and the places we camp (State Parks, or National Parks) will have a charcoal grille (really nice ones too) and a firering for the campfires.. Biggest problem with any of the parks, is they dont allow you to bring wood in, so you cant bring your own wood with you, because of some ash borer bug or something like that. But they do sell wood, and its cheap enough.. It sits out in the elements, and may be wet sometimes, but will burn eventually.  Wont be much longer till we will be getting out and about.
Also, most of the places we will be camping, will have electric to hook up to, whether you have an RV or not (we ran a cord through the tent, so we could watch dvd's on the computer,, LOL) and the first time, to use our coffee pot, but now we have the automatic drip coffee maker, that goes onto the camp stove, so there wont be any percolated coffee over the fire for us,, lmao..

Snow and Ice is melting off everything,, ground cant soak it up fast enough, so there will be a lot of standing water soon.. Suppose to be near or in the low 60's in a few days.. Now thats what Im talking about,, LOL.. Looks to be cold and frosty here this morning, in the mid 20's. but the snow has melted off the deck/patio, but the lake is still frozen over.. soon as it melts off, and starts greening up, I will post some pics on Facebook, like the ones I took when the Snow and Ice storm hit a couple weeks ago.. speaking of which, there is another snowstorm moving in, for next week,, they dont know what or how much we will get yet. but Old Man Winter isnt about to give up this early in February.. LOL

Sunday night, since we had the hotdog forks, and a fire in the fireplace, we burnt some dogs in the fire for supper, and last night, Sloppy Joe's,, then Nana and the kids (Amanda and Chris, my daughter and Son in law) had some marshmallows over the fire, and Amanda had Smores, since I had the stuff to fix them.. I passed.. lol,
Thinking tonight/today, I may fix some Jambalaya, and also since Nana doesnt care much for it, will fix her and the others Smoked Sausage, green beans and onions, and taters,, all in a one pot meal.. Quick, easy, filling, and I dont have to sit and watch over it all day..

Well, guess thats enough, for today, and makeup for yesterday.. guess Id better head on to the farm, get my crops harvested, then start breeding some Black Cherry foals, the newest horse/foal in the market.. Ive already passed over 100 of them out, but there will be 200 more requesting them as the day progresses.. lol.. alot of work, due to having to save them, then passing the link out individually, because there are 5 foals to a link, but if I post it to the feed, only 2 or 3 get taken by my friends, the others by cheaters, and hoarders.. wish there was a way I could know who gets them, Id delete their asses so fast their heads would spin.. LOL

Yall have a great Tuesday, and a fantastic week.. Stay out of trouble,

Happy Farming

Papaw

No comments:

Post a Comment